DJ Ricardo Live at XL NYC: Power Anthem Workout Mix Pride Month June 20 2013 Main Floor Closing Set 2am
Featuring tracks from:
Krewella, Hardwell, Kaskade, Kylie Minogue, Swedish House Mafia, Daft Punk, Icona Pop, Pink, Rihanna, Peter Rauhofer, Calvin Harris, Deborah Cox, Florence + Machine, Tiesto, Sebastian Ingrosso, Feenixpawl, Alexander Burke, Sympho Nympho, East & Young Ft. Tom Cane
Important Statement on this mix:
I was very hesitant to post this live mix, as this dj set was formulated to fit a very specific type of crowd, young gay college boys. But after listening to it several times I decided its important that I showcase my ability to cater to any audience.
As a DJ who’s been djing for over 12 years in NYC, one thing that you learn is that your job as a dj is to:
- Inspire people dance (whatever that takes) which in turn will allow people to,
- go to the bar and buy drinks.
- Introduce new tracks and your sound without losing the dancefloor.
While my preference is to play tech-house and tribal-house all night, the reality is that prior to reaching a super star dj category you have to learn to dj to all kinds of difference audiences. Ive played disco infused sets to older people, hard tribal to circuit muscle boys, sophisticated house to high end clubs and everything in between. I’ve learned that my preferences for music is minor as compared to the ultimate goal, your job as a dj, the reason your getting paid, to make people dance. Does that mean that I just play what the audience wants to hear? Absolutely Not. Its a compromise and if done right everyone ends up happy. Thats when experience comes in, you have to tread a happy medium between audience, your specific sound and the clubs need to make money.
With that in mind, this mix was tailored to fit within a very specific crowd. For this night it was very young gay college boys and their friends hence, the name of the party “20 Something.” This night is a pop-oriented night where top 40 dance music is expected. Luckily, I was booked to play the closing set which gave me a little bit more artistic freedom. This is a tough crowd, they want familiar songs and lose attention fairly quickly. So I gave them a banging ‘EDM’ style set with big buildups and plenty of vocals, drama and electro madness. These boys go to raves like Electric Daisy Carnival and see DJ’s like Axwell and Kaskade. So rather than just play a set of remixed pop songs I gave them a slice of EDM music with enough familiar pop songs to keep them on the dancefloor. And it sure worked! Is it Tacky for my personal taste? Sure. But the most important thing was that I kept my 3 goals. The dancefloor was packed until the very end and lots of hands in the air, which in turn made me very happy, even though it was not exactly what I would personally want to hear. I will say one thing, it was fun playing to a crowd thats losing it to your music. So in turn, everyone turned out happy. enjoy.
Special thanks to Alan Picus & Justin Luke of Boiparty.com
Here is part 1 of my 6 hour live set from Pride Saturday @ Monster Bar NYC for their biggest night of the year, the place was rammed from beginning to the very end. Part 1 Opening set:
Disco Beach Pride Classics NYC Gay Pride Saturday June 29 2013 10:30pm-11:30
This un-edited opening set was heavily disco influenced choked full of many dance classics that had a huge impact on dance music. Perfect download for a day at the beach! enjoy!
Listen to entire 80 min mix of Out Anthems 8. If you like then purchase on itunes here
Here is the megamix:
and here is a remix that I made especially for the album:
DJ Ricardo! Cruise Control: Highway/ City
Part 1 Highway: A dreamy rock mix for long distance driving.
Also available on:
Subscribe to my Podcast on Podomatic:
- M83 “Intro”
- Sasha Ft. Kristen Linder “Cut Me Down” (Original)
- M83 “Midnight City” (Eric Prydz Mix)
- Eric Prydz “Everyday” (Original)
- Lana Del Rey “Ride” (Hugo Baritt Remix)
- All Mankind “Simple Desire” (Manhattan Clique Club)
- Depeche Mode “Everything Counts” (Oliver Huntemann & Stephan Bodzin Dub)
- Smashing Pumpkins “1979” (DJ Ricardo’s Dreamy Mashup)
- Silversun Pickups “Dots and Dashes” (Enough Already) (Ricardo’s Break Beat Re-edit)
- Atlas Genius “Trojans” (Original)
- Hot Chip “Flutes” (Sasha Mix)
- Fehrplay “I Can’t Stop” (Original)
Nothing like driving long distance while speeding down the highway, if you are listening to the right music it can be a form of meditation. As a DJ, I have playlist always ready with selections formulated to fit every occasion. One of my favorite playlists is one specifically formulated for driving down long empty highways. Each selection consists of artist and remixers like Sasha and Nick Warren and bands like Smashing Pumpkins & Depeche Mode. On overall theme consisting of beautiful melodic ethereal music with lots of chord progression. This is what I want to hear when I am driving, 80mph down a highway. I recently recorded an opening dj set at Greenhouse NYC, which I mixed for sole purpose of listening during a long drive. Phoenix is a rock club, so all my sets included some electronic versions of indie and rock bands. I really enjoyed that set and decided to rework the mix, add some tracks and release to the public. There is a little bit of everything here, but hopefully I kept one vibe.
Highway, the first part of the mix, is designed to have you feel soar through that lonely highway and prepare you for arriving to part 2, City a darker, sexier and grittier mix.So get in your car and press play, I guarantee you it will be one epic journey!
Part 2 City A drive down dark seedy city streets will be released beginning of April.
Just posted Part 2 of my Live mix from Splash on djricardo.podomatic.com & Soundcloud
Listen & Download here:
Use the below link to subscribe to my podcast, new episodes will be automatically updated to iTunes:
DJ Ricardo! Live at Splash NYC Thanksgiving Night 2012Tracklisting:
Part 2 : Closing.
Recorded Live Main Floor of Splash Bar NYC Nov. 22 2012
This is an unedited DJ Mix recorded live at NYC most legendary gay club Splash NYC on Thanksgiving Night 2012.
1. Ministers De La Funk “Gravy” (Antranig Remix)
2. Tom Flynn “Do you like the Bass”
3. Shawnee Taylor feat. Sympho Nympho “Colors” (Antranig remix)
4. Denis The Menace & Syke n Sugarstarr “World in Your Hands”
5. Sander Van Doorn & Mayaeni “Nothing Inside”
6. Paul Van Dyk “Lost in Berlin” (Original)
7. Thomas Gold vs. Kings of Tomorrow “Sing 2 Me” (Avesta Vocal Edit)
8. Erick Morillo & Eddie Thoenick “Stonger feat. Shawnee Taylor” (Club Mix)
Just posted Part 1 of my live at Splash NYC on my DJRicardoNYC Podcaster page
So you think I can’t play fun pop remixes to the twinks? Of course I can!
Here is my most commercial house live mix ever to be available for download. Unedited with mistakes included. This is the real thing!
This is an unedited DJ Mix recorded live at NYC most legendary gay club Splash NYC on Thanksgiving Night 2012. Thursday nights at Splash are pop oriented devoted to young college gay boys. This is a special set designed to meet a happy medium between pop, house, progressive and electro. Since I had the pleasure of playing during peak hours on the main floor of a packed house, I chose a high energy progressive house set with enough pop to keep the boys happy! At times, I can describe this set as, dare I say at what I call “tacky” house anthems. Playing to a young gay crowd always presents a challenge, they want radio hits you want beats. However, given by the crowd reaction, and the fact that I didn’t get a single request all night, I would say I succeeded.
Part 1 Tracklisting:
1. Rene Amesz “Get This”
2. Rihanna “Diamonds” (Edison Pride Unreleased Mix)
3. Madonna “Girls Gone Wild” (Tannuri & DJ Aaron Bootleg Mix)
4. Jennifer Lopez “Dance Again” (DJ Chus Iberican Mix)
5. John Lasher & Diva LonGloria “Droolin’ Ova My Shoes” -( Stiletto Mix)
6. The Wanted “I Found You” (Moto Blanco Club Mix)
7. Calvin Harris feat. Ne-Yo “Let’s Go” (Calvin Harris Remix vs. Original) (DJ Ricardo Edit)
8. Ellie Goulding “Lights” (Feenixpawl Bootleg)
9. Coldplay, Swedish House Mafia & Quilinez “Troll in Paradise” Mashup
10. ENUR Feat. Nicki Minaj & Goonrock “I’m That Chick” (Rune RK Club Mix)
11.Lady Gaga “Marry the Night” (Sander Van Doorn Mix)
12. Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch “Sweet Nothing” (Tiësto Remix)
13. Bassjackers vs Red Hot Chili Peppers “Otherside” (Hardwell MashUp)
14. Carl Tricks “Exterminate” (original Mix)
15. Spencer & Hill “1234” (Original Mix)
16. Starkillers & Dmitry Ko “Little Odessa” (George F & Tekkman Remix)
17. David Guetta Feat Sia “She Wolf” (Falling To Pieces) (Michael Calfan Remix)
18. Chris Brown “Don’t Judge Me” (Dave Aude Extended Mix)